Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What the hell is a Budgy Smuggler anyway???

I had the same question about a month ago.  Apparently, those damn Aussies think it's a better name for what us lame Americans call "Speedos".  Well, who would have thought, right?  There must be something behind the idea that, in a man's itsy bitsy teeny weeny tight-as-hell "swimsuit" (if you can even call it that), they are in fact "smuggling" a "budgy".  Well what the heck is a budgy???
I don't know, I don't care.  But what I do know is that it's fun to say, and there's a bit more background as to why this all makes sense.

And if you don't believe me, Wikipedia knows all...

So to answer the grand question, "Why is Sarah blogging about smuggling budgies???".  I've struggled with weight my whole life, and I'm not entirely sure why.  I know that I'm a stress eater (I think we all know that), but I also know that I love to exercise.  I've been on a fat-kid-skinny-kid rollercoaster for the majority of my life, and about 2 and a half years ago, I decided to change all of that.
I graduated college, a semi-depressed 173-pounder, and I sit here today, a 25 year old, happy as hell, beautiful young woman, successfully living the dream in Singapore...a joyful 140-pounder.  (Clearly my head and ego have not lost a single pound...ha)

Not to drop the ball on any super duper surprises, but a (very) large group of us are heading to Phuket, Thailand to celebrate multiple 30th birthdays...and it all goes down the first weekend of May.  Apparently the boys of this adventure have all decided to support Australia's love of man-thigh and purchase their very own Budgy Smugglers (yes, there is a brand).

So clearly the only thing left for the gals to do is join the fun, and surprise the dudes with nothing other than Smugglettes.  I have chosen the Royales with Cheese, and damnit I am going to look GREAT when I wear them!

So...from this day forward, I'm telling the world about my journey.  The Weight Watchers blogs I keep up with have given me motivation and I hope to do the same for whoever wants to read this silly thing.

2 comments:

  1. You Go Girl! Love you, Daddy
    P.S. You write really well - do I sense a novella coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sista!!!!! You can do it! :) and I highly enjoyed reading this...you've just now inspired me...thank you~

    Love Claire

    ReplyDelete