Monday, June 14, 2010

Even Fingers Can Get Skinny

I wrote this draft last week, and then forgot to post it!  A little late is better than never :)  Here goes!

A long, long time ago I used to be 12.  I know - shocking.  As I quickly approached my 13th birthday (one of extreme importance in the Jewish faith), still carrying baby fat with a bit of extra fat to go along, I thought about my Bat Mitzvah.  And, like any nearly-13 year old Jewish girl, I wasn't exactly thinking about the service, or the meaning, or my faith.  I was instead thinking about my party, and thinking about my gifts!

When my amazing cousin Melysa had her Bat Mitzvah two years before, my family had given her a birthstone ring - a beautiful sapphire and diamond setting on a gold band.  I loved it.  I wanted it.  So when I had my own special day, I was the happiest and most ecstatic little 13 year old on the planet when I received my very own birthstone ring.  My Auntie Jill, Uncle Rodger, and cousins Melysa and Jessa had given me a gorgeous emerald and diamond birthstone ring.

So what's the point of this, you may ask?  Well, until this morning, I have never worn this ring.  I have spent the past 13 years with a size 8 ring finger.  Now, I don't think that necessarily constitutes "fat fingers", as numerous women wear a size 8 ring; but this particular birthstone ring is smaller.  I'm not sure of the exact size, but I would venture to guess that it's around a 7.

So today, the 10th of June, 2010, I am officially thin enough to wear that ring.  And it feels amazing.

Still a teensy bit tight, but it fits!  Sorry for the poor quality - I took this picture on my BlackBerry :)

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, I totally remember ALL of that!!! :)

    ReplyDelete