Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fun Ideas and a New Challenge!

I've spent the past couple months pondering a new direction for Smuggling Budgies, now that the Smugglette has been unleashed into the wild.  Each week I'll dig into a new food topic, something fun and exciting (like roasted chicken!) and throw quick meal ideas out into the open.  Sound like a plan?

So, as mentioned above, this week's item:  Roasted Chicken
I absolutely friggin' love these things.  How could you not love them???  Unless of course you are cursed with that strange affliction that my friends Heath and Brittany suffer from - they can't eat anything on the bone.  That means no bone-in chicken, no bone-in steak, no wings!  Seriously, it's devastating.  But even for them these meal ideas are possibilities.  If you suffer from "I can't eat bone-in foods" syndrome, simply ask a friend or loved one to remove the chicken from the bone prior to your entering the kitchen or dining room.  You will not know it was ever actually attached to an animal.  And perfecto!

If you live in the US, my personal favorite roasted chickens are Tyson brand, which can be purchased at your local supermarket (and comes in varieties!).  If you reside in Singapore, swing by your neighborhood Cold Storage and grab either a honey or black pepper chicken from the deli.
So what do you do next?  Well, let's see...

How about a big salad of your favorite veggies, some roasted chicken, and your salad dressing of choice?  Here is my personal favorite:



Yummy Salad with Roasted Chicken Breast - 7.5 Points
This is a large salad with 3 servings of veggies.  It is incredibly filling and tasty!  Great for salad-lovers :) 
  • 2 cups romaine lettuce, torn or sliced
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cucumber, halved and sliced
  • shredded carrots
  • Pepperidge Farm Seasoned Croutons, 12 pieces
  • 1 roasted chicken breast, skin removed and chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Homemade Hidden Valley Ranch
Combine all ingredients on large plate.  Mix well with dressing, or dip individual bites, and enjoy!

What to do with the rest of your roasted chicken???
You could make a Roasted Chicken and Bow Tie Pasta Salad, which happens to be delicious, and will feed you for days.  Recipe = 6 Points per serving; yields 6 servings (remember to remove the skin).
Heat up a chicken breast or thigh, and serve along side veggies of your choice and steamed rice or cauliflower puree.
Slice the chicken into thin pieces and make a delicious sandwich!

All of these meals and ideas are super-quick and super-tasty (falling into the new 15-Minute Meals category) - perfect for staying on track when you're busy.

-------------------------------------------------------

So what's this challenge I keep referring to???
A fellow blogger has recently started a Crunch Attack challenge with her readers.  So...I'm following suit!  Click here to explore the challenge in more detail and join in on the fun!  Basically, I will do crunches (or ab workouts) and/or pushups at least 3 days each week, and then I will increase my repetitions as the weeks progress.
I will keep a log of my exercises and report back each week - and I'll even throw in some body measurements!  Week 1 started Tuesday...I will set some goals for myself next Tuesday after I've determined just what I can do!  I would love it if y'all did this challenge with me - the more support we've got, the easier this life change can be!

Good night, and go buy some chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment