Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dijon Roasted New Potatoes

Tonight I had an epiphany.  While eating my delectable home-made meal, it hit me - why do I love cooking?  As I've said time and time before, Singaporeans find it unusual to cook.  They say to me, "Wow...you cook?  Why???"  Simply walk outside of your home, your work, your gym - there's food everywhere in Singapore.  And it's cheap.  So when they ask why, my typical reason is "I enjoy it" or "I'm on a special diet".
But that's not the true reason, is it?

I cook because, after that very first bite, when I close my eyes and savor every flavor, every texture, and every single bit of that food, I know that I made it.  I accomplished that dish.  I put my own time, and my own energy into creating something that is not only healthy, but tastes amazing.  And lately, everything has been tasting amazing!

Did Weight Watchers develop better recipes?  Or did Sarah just become a better chef?  I'll go with the latter.

Tonight's delectable and savory delight takes so few ingredients I guarantee you'll find most of them sitting in your kitchen.  It's also incredibly easy, not at all hands-on, and tastes like a million bucks!

They look fried, but they're not!  Delicious!

A Weight Watchers Online recipe
Makes 4 servings; Yields about 1 1/4 cup per serving
Points+ value = 4
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds uncooked new potatoes, red or white, quartered or halved  (I used red)
Preheat oven to 425F (220C).  Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together mustard, oil, paprika, salt, thyme, and pepper; add potatoes and toss to coat.

Transfer potatoes to prepared baking dish and roast 15 minutes; stir and roast until tender on inside, about 15 to 20 minutes more.

*If your potatoes do not get crispy enough, coat them with cooking spray and then bake them for a few more minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I so made an extremely similar recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the same remark when I bring lunch to work. Oh, that potato dish is looking delish!

    This is my first time visiting your blog! I came from skinnytaste site after googling 'Ground Turkey in Singapore' hehe. BTW, where do they sell ground Turkey over here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carine!
    Thanks for checking out the blog. I haven't posted in a very long time, but I'm about to get started again :)

    Ground turkey in Singapore is basically non-existent. They used to have it at Tanglin Marketplace, but I haven't found it lately. Huber's in Dempsey has turkey breast, as well as many other butchers around the island - and I'm sure you could ask them to grind it up for you.

    I've given up on the search, honestly. I typically substitute ground chicken or ground beef, or just skip the recipes calling for turkey. It's sad!

    ReplyDelete