Monday, April 12, 2010

Quinoa and Spinach

I just discovered quinoa this weekend when I tried this recipe.  The best word to describe it is unique.  I've never had anything quite like it...and I think it's pretty good!
Lucky for me, quinoa happens to be incredibly healthy, high in fiber, gluten-free, and SO easy to make!

From Weight Watchers
Servings:  8
Points:  1 per serving
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional - I used them!)
  • 4 cups baby spinach, packed, coarsely chopped (I didn't chop it)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add quinoa to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa starts to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Add broth, black pepper and red pepper flakes to skillet; bring to a boil.  Cover skillet and reduce heat to low and simmer for 13 minutes; stir in spinach.
Cover skillet and cook until spinach and quinoa are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes; season with salt.

Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment