Monday, April 12, 2010

Weight Watchers Italian Meatballs

Italian Meatballs
From Weight Watchers
Servings:  8
Points:  3

I know they look wimpy and pathetic, but these are incredibly tasty!  They are perfect by themselves as an appetizer, with some pasta and sauce for dinner, or simply mixed up with a bunch of other options, as I did for dinner on Sunday (with Quinoa and Spinach, and Green Beans with Tomato and Garlic).
  • 1.5 tsp butter
  • 1.5 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1 pound raw lean ground beef
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced (or 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning - I did this)
  • 1/4 cup beef broth, or chicken broth (I used beef)
  • 1/4 cup white wine
In a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium heat.  Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove onions to a large mixing bowl and add beef, egg, red pepper flakes, salt and parsley (or Italian seasoning); mix well to combine.
With damp hands, roll forty-eight 1/2-inch meatballs.


Place same skillet over medium-high heat.  Add meatballs, broth and wine; simmer until cooked through, gently turning meatballs once during cooking, about 20 minutes.


Yields 6 meatballs per serving.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, you make me laugh! They do look pathetic and wimpy, actually REALLY pathetic. I am sure they are delish, and I will try them!
    Love ya..mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I can't wait to eat in the US.

    ps - I see what Brian was saying but it still looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...I think he's right. Looking at this again it looks awful. I would so not eat that.
    Let it be known that I want (a) a Canon S90 with a waterproof housing, and (b) lessons on how to present food in an appetizing manner!

    ReplyDelete